Kelsey Boeing

Fitted Fans

10/18/2018

Students reveal what it’s like to be Rufus the Bobcat

Baylee DeMuth / Staff Writer

Dylan Erdmann’s choice to attend Ohio University was heavily influenced by his intent to become OU’s mascot, Rufus the Bobcat.

“I was my high school’s mascot for two years and absolutely loved it,” Erdmann, a sophomore studying sociology-criminology, said. “I knew that I had to do it in college.”

During Erdmann’s freshman year, he was given a chance to try out the Rufus suit at an OU soccer game. He performed well and was hired as one of the two students who would get to be Rufus the Bobcat.

“We haven’t had a really good full-time Rufus for a while, so there wasn’t anything for me to base off how he should act. I pretty much transformed my high school mascot’s personality into what Rufus is now, which is kind of like the traditional high school quarterback who walks around super tough and doesn’t take crap from anyone.”Dylan Erdmann

“I don’t have to try out again every year either,” Erdmann said. “As long as I don’t do anything to get fired, I have the job.”

A bobcat has been OU’s mascot since 1925, but the current image of Rufus the Bobcat came to be in 2006, according to a previous Post report. Rufus not only cheers for OU’s football team, but also makes his way to many other Ohio sports, including men’s and women’s basketball, women’s field hockey, women’s soccer, wrestling, softball and baseball.

Even as a freshman, Erdmann was not intimidated to be playing such a large roll for the university. With his previous mascoting experience, Erdmann was able to channel his high school mascot’s persona into how he portrays Rufus on a bigger platform.

“We haven’t had a really good full-time Rufus for a while, so there wasn’t anything for me to base off how he should act,” Erdmann said. “I pretty much transformed my high school mascot’s personality into what Rufus is now, which is kind of like the traditional high school quarterback who walks around super tough and doesn’t take crap from anyone.”

Football games are the primary performances for Erdmann as Rufus. A lot of individual work goes into preparing for games, so Erdmann makes it a point to practice with the cheerleading team in order to perform to the best of his ability.

“Last year, I would practice with the cheer team about once a week just to get to know them,” Erdmann said. “It’s so crazy when I get into the suit because there’s this complete contrast from who I am in the suit to who I am out of it.”

In the short time Erdmann has been Rufus, he’s made many connections with other schools’ mascots, something he would’ve never thought was possible before becoming Rufus.

“A lot of the mascots try to get to know each other, especially for the schools they play,” Erdmann said. “We have a secret GroupMe where we pass different ideas around. That’s also how I get in contact with people prior to games and see if away team mascots want to perform any skits with Rufus. It’s almost like we’re planning interactions.”

Getting the opportunity to be Rufus the Bobcat has been a worthwhile experience for Erdmann that he’s excited to continue throughout college.

descutner

Mijana Mazur | FOR THE POST

Rufus interacts with the crowd during the 2017 Homecoming football game against Central Michigan University.

“Not very many people get to say that they were their college’s mascot,” Erdmann said. “I’ve learned so much about different cultures and regions of the U.S. since becoming Rufus. The experience is amazing, and there is so much awesome stuff I wouldn’t have gotten to do had I not gotten this job.”

Cody Buchanan, a senior studying coaching education, was also his high school mascot and knows what a blast it is to be in Erdmann’s position.

“I loved suiting up and dancing around,” Buchanan said. “Being a mascot brought so much joy to people, and that was one of the most amazing things about it.”

Zach Logsdon, a senior studying meteorology, is the other student who gets the opportunity to be Rufus.

“I just thought it’d be a fun and great way to represent the school,” Logsdon said. “I get to be OU’s biggest fan while also getting the opportunity to try something new.”

This is Logsdon’s second year dressing up as Rufus, and even though Erdmann has more experience with mascoting in general, Logsdon was able to catch on quickly.

“I think I’ve gotten pretty good at it,” Logsdon said. “Our boss can’t tell the difference between who’s in the suit and who’s not some games because of how well (Erdmann) and I have coordinated it.”

Like Erdmann, Logsdon puts in a lot of work before any sporting event Rufus has to make an appearance at.

“I usually try and get there an hour before the game because there’s a script I have to go by,” Logsdon said. “I have to know what’s going on and where to be in the stadium or arena and when.”

With how many outside sporting events Logsdon attends as Rufus, one can imagine how hot it is inside the suit, but Logsdon doesn’t mind at all.

“It’s such an adrenaline rush getting to pump everyone up and being the game’s biggest fan that I just find a way to get through it,” Logsdon said. “Sometimes when I’m taking pictures with people, I still catch myself smiling inside the suit. It’s a hard habit to break.”

Being OU’s mascot has been an amazing time that Logsdon will miss after he graduates.

“I’ll definitely miss being the college’s biggest fan,” Logsdon said. “I’m walking around campus and nobody knows that — in a way — I’m the face of the university.”

Development by: Megan Knapp / Digital Production Editor