Illustration by Olivia Juenger | For The Post

For Your Vegan Fix

October 8, 2020

A guide to the best vegan restaurants in Columbus

By Madyson Lewellyn | The Beat Editor

O ne of the most daunting aspects of switching to a vegan diet is navigating a menu that has nothing more than lettuce, a few croutons and a sliver of cucumber. Thankfully, Columbus is the mecca of all things plant-based and has tons of restaurants that cater to vegan, gluten-free and vegetarian diets.

From sushi to burgers, the city has no shortage of meatless and non-dairy options that will keep your mind and heart at ease. The endless amount of delicious, healthier alternatives will have all of your carnivorous friends begging to tag along. Here are five of the best restaurants in the 614 to get in your vegan fix:

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by ALCHEMY (@alchemy.brands) on

If you’re a smoothie snob, then Alchemy Juice Bar + Cafe is your restaurant match sent straight from vegan heaven. The cafe is the perfect place to sit and decompress while sipping a fresh-made green juice or “veg head” smoothie. Owners Abed Alshahal and Alexis Joseph redefined the fast-casual wellness concept -- creating an all-day cafe that serves vegan sandwiches, smoothies, acai bowls, salads, juices and coffee.

For the fall season, the cafe has brought back a few signature menu items including their famous Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Bowl, vegan tomato bisque, cinnamon-spiced donuts with blueberry jam, and Pumpkin Spice Latte (with oat milk, of course).

Portia’s Diner

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Plant Based Eatery (@portiasdiner) on

Portia’s Diner operates under the mission to “keep local and chemical-free foods available and plentiful.” If you’re looking for the solace that a 100% vegan menu provides, Portia’s checks all the boxes. Diner food and the vegan diet don’t always go hand-in-hand, but this High Street restaurant will put all your hangovers at ease. The menu is full of all things tofu-scramble, french toast, burritos, waffles and even pizza. If you wake up uneasy one Sunday morning, Portia’s is the perfect vegan cure.

Woodhouse Vegan Cafe + Space

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by WOODHOUSE 𝓿𝓮𝓰𝓪𝓷 (@woodvhouse) on

If you’re looking for a night out that is vegan-friendly, look no further. With a mellow atmosphere and calming ambiance, Woodhouse is usually the perfect spot for a date or night out with friends. But amid the pandemic, the restaurant is only offering carryout. The menu changes weekly, so there’s always something new and exciting to try.

The menu is a spectacular selection of savory and sweet -- including Mexican Mac, Loaded Nachos and a caramel brownie. The beverage menu is also diverse with a selection of beers, seltzers, CBD seltzers, hard kombuchas and non-alcoholic drinks.

Fusian

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by FUSIAN (@eatfusian) on

If you’re craving bomb sushi, Fusian is your place to go in the 614. The Asian-American chain is not entirely vegan, but they include a few signature rolls that cater to plant-based diets. “The Vegan” roll includes roasted tofu, avocado, cucumber, carrot, sweet soy and sesame seed. The “PB+J” roll includes a soy wrap, white rice, peanut butter and grape jelly (don’t knock it ‘till you try it).

Fusian is also very similar to Chipotle by allowing customers to customize their own order with their choice of base (roll, bowl or salad), protein (tofu), toppings/veggies, and sauce.

Eden Burger

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Eden Burger (@edenburgercbus) on

If you’re a vegan living in Columbus, Eden Burger is probably your favorite restaurant. At first glance, the menu looks anything but vegan or plant-based friendly with its wide assortment of fast food delicacies. Located on High Street, the restaurant has become famous for its 100% plant-based burger made out of lentils, sunflower seeds, rice, mushroom, gluten-free oats, beets, liquid aminos and spices. The menu also extends into vegan mozzarella sticks, fried pickles, milkshakes and loaded fries. If you’re looking to get your fast-food fix in an animal-friendly way, Eden Burger will save the day.

BACK

AUTHOR: Madyson Lewellyn
EDITOR: Emma Dollenmayer
COPY EDITOR: Anna Garnai
ILLUSTRATION: Olivia Juenger
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Brianna Lender