Coach of the Bench

BLAKE NISSEN

Sam Frayer watches the Bobcats' promotional video during "lights out in the convo" before Ohio's game against Akron. Ohio won the game 99-75.

02.15.18

Sam Frayer’s next step into the coaching profession

Andrew Gillis / Sports Editor

Sam Frayer has been a different Sam Frayer this season.

In previous seasons, Frayer was one going nuts at the end of Ohio’s bench at every exciting moment. This year, however, he’s been much more tame. He wants to look more professional — he wants to look like a coach.

“I feel like I’m going to have a heart attack every game,” Frayer said. “It’s a lot of fun, but every game I’m trying to be a little more serious about it.”

He’s trying to be more serious because he wants to prove to other programs that he can be a successful Graduate Assistant next season. But it’s not just the toned-back bench celebrations that have changed for Frayer.

He spent the entire summer traveling the country working at different camps and meeting with coaches, trying to make as many contacts as possible. And in season, his 50-plus letters he’s sent have yielded no results yet. But he said that’s to be expected with the season in full swing.

“I’ve worked on some scouting reports, scouted some other teams, sent them to other teams and coaches,” Frayer said. “They probably don’t even look at it. Just like ‘hey, this is what I’m doing.’ Just trying to treat myself like I’m a coach now.”

Coach Saul Phillips has taken note, too.

“It really started to manifest itself this summer when he committed to going all over America and doing camps,” Phillips said. “Sure there’s some of fun to that, it’s also hard damn work for not a lot of money. To hear him talk about his conversations one-on-one with head coaches at places he was, he was asking the right questions, he was putting himself in the right place.”

Phillips has his own experiences of going through the walk-on to coach process, too. He graduated from Wisconsin-Platteville under head coach Bo Ryan and went to Wayne State to become a graduate assistant for Greg McDermott.

Because of that, Phillips, who said that he would give any coach a recommendation for Frayer, has tried to talk with Frayer about his options after this season eventually ends.

“For one, I’ve told him that there are some things about him trying to get into it that are similar to me trying to get into it,” Phillips said. “So there’s a path there for him. He’s actually got a huge advantage, he’s in a Division I program. So that’s a big head start on me.”

One of Phillips’ recommendations, however, was the Frayer spend at least the beginning part of his career outside of Athens. Phillips didn’t rule out a return, but said that it’d be best for him to separate his collegiate career from his professional one. Frayer has already began that process.

He’s going to attend the Final Four in San Antonio at the end of March, one of college basketball’s best networking times of the year in hopes of making a connection for next season.

Meanwhile back in Athens, Frayer has tried to take on more of a coaching role to some of the younger players on the team. He said that’s one of the things he respects about Phillips — his ability to listen to younger players. Frayer has tried to emulate that.

“I try to do as much as I can, but I state my boundaries,” Frayer said. “Make sure people notice me, but don’t get too annoyed with me. Like, I don’t play, so it’s like, ‘what the f--- do you know?’ But I think guys on our team listen to me.”

He’s become a mentor off the court as well, which is where Phillips said he shines. The players can relate to him and he can relate to them.

One day, he’ll be talking about how Ohio needs to win more 50/50 balls at Akron, a legitimate critique of that game. The next moment, he’s arguing whether he could beat a wolf in a fight — seriously.

“I would love for Sam to be the head of his own program,” Phillips said. “I would listen to his press conferences every freakin’ week. It’d be great. He’s a beauty.”

No one knows the next stop for the fan favorite at the end of the bench, and neither does he. But Frayer has already began the process of changing in his jersey for a suit and tie, a process he hopes will end up with himself leading a program one day.

“Winning a national championship is my ultimate goal,” Frayer said. “People think I’m a little crazy, but my parents think I can do it, so why not? No one thought I’d get here.”

Back

Development by: Alex Vella / For The Post