Battle of the Bricks

BLAKE NISSEN

Kevin Mickle pushes past Capital's Josh Burnham during Ohio's exhibition game against Capital on Sept. 4. The Bobcats won 80-57.

02.15.18

How Mickle’s knee can impact the rest of the season

Andrew Gillis / Sports Editor

In a span of 20 seconds, Kevin Mickle totaled the highest point total he registered since Jan. 26.

He knocked down a 3-pointer and threw down a ferocious windmill dunk, then followed that up with three straight layups and an offensive rebound. It was the best performance of Mickle’s career, and almost half of it came in a two and a half minute stretch.

But the majority of the postgame questions to him weren’t about the dunk or the 3-pointer, nor the loss or the 11-point run he had. Instead, they were all about his left knee and how it was feeling.

“The last two games, I felt comfortable enough to do what I did tonight,” Mickle said. “The moves, especially. Still can’t spin off the right block, but it’s still cool.”

In an 82-74 loss to Toledo, Mickle registered 24 points and six rebounds. But his left knee will once again be the focus of attention Saturday when Ohio hosts Miami at The Convo. Tipoff is scheduled for 3:30.

“He’s feeling healthier, it’s a simple matter,” coach Saul Phillips said. “The last two games he’s been much more active. The guys did a good job of recognizing he felt good and kept delivering him the ball. 19 shots, I don’t know if he’s had 19 touches in the last… his leg is feeling better, he’s got more confidence in it.”

Originally injured against Indiana State on Nov. 19, Mickle sat out the following two games. He returned after that, however, and has only missed one game since. But his torn meniscus in that left knee hasn’t healed — and won’t until the season is over when he has minor surgery.

But with Jason Carter seemingly out for the season, Mickle’s injury hasn’t been easier to swallow for a Bobcats team in need of consistent scoring in the frontcourt.

“The only thing I can do is get the swelling down and just take whatever pain medicine they gave me and any pills to get the swelling down,” Mickle said.

Mickle will be especially important against a RedHawks squad that has had trouble scoring, but still can defend as well as anyone in the Mid-American Conference. They are second in points allowed, with just 67 points per game. Ohio hasn’t seen Miami this season either, as both teams will play twice in 13 days.

The RedHawks defend the 3-pointer very well, so scoring in the paint will be a key for Mickle and the Bobcats on Saturday.

But the question remains whether or not Mickle’s knee will hold up, and how well it will.

“It’s a day-to-day business,” Mickle said. “One game, everything could be completely great. Next game, you could say Doug gets into foul trouble so I have to play more minutes and the knee is bothering me again.”

It will be a tricky balance for the Bobcats the rest of the way, who will have to balance Mickle toughness with his knee. Mickle has gone through stretches of positivity, like when he scored double digit points in five of Ohio’s six December games. He’s also had his struggles when the knee is bothering him — before Toledo, he was averaging just 5.3 points per game.

Then, the knee looks fine and Mickle shows what he’s capable of. He said his 3-point shooting ability has been hampered, too. But there’s not really much time to sit back now.

“You get to a point in your senior year when you realize ‘I’ve got so many games left. Regardless of what comes next, I want to get everything I can out of this,’” Phillips said. “I think that’s where he’s at right now.”

It’ll be a wait-and-see approach for Mickle down the stretch, simple waiting to see whether or not his knee will feel good on a particular day. For the Bobcats, they’ll need Mickle to produce on Saturday.

“I just go day-to-day, thinking what I can do better for the next day,” Mickle said.

Back

Development by: Megan Knapp / For The Post